A Nut can be defined as a very hard shelled type of fruit of certain plants that comes with a specific type of seed called indehiscent. All the while, there is a wide selection of dried fruits and seeds that are also called nuts. This is a fairly comprehensive lit of various types of nuts.
1. Almond: A highly prized nut that is encased in a hard, greenish hull.
2. Beech nut: These are small edible nuts encased in burs
3. Butternut: A nut that is egg-shaped and is a part of the widespread walnut family
4. Brazil nut: A three-sided American nut that has white oily feeling meat with a hard shell.
5. Candle nut: This has an extremely hard shell typically sold without the shell.
6. Cashew: This kidney-shaped nut grows outside the cashew apple. It’s shell is toxic.
7. Chestnut: One of the most versatile of all nuts as to how you can prepare it.
8. Chinese chestnut: These are sweet, small nuts native to the far east
9. Malabar Chestnut: Native to the southern hemisphere, they grow in the swamps of South America.
10. Sweet chestnut: Originally native to the near east
11. Colocynth: This is a poisonous, non-edible nut.
12. Clurbita ficifolia: is the seed of a certain kind of squash
13. Filbert: is a variety of the hazel nut
14. Gevuina avellana: An edible nut that is adaptable to cooler climates.
15. Hazelnut: It’s also known simply as the cob nut.
16. Hickory nut: A hard-shelled, nut used in baking.
17. Pecan: Native to the North American southern states.
18. Shagbark Hickory: Are moderately sized, thin shelled nuts.
19. Kola Nut: High in caffeine with many medicinal purposes.
20. Macadamia: Also known simply as the bush nut.
21. Mamoncillo nut: Is the seed of the Spanish lime.
22. Maya nut: Is kin to the Mulberry and the Fig
23. Mongongo: These are edible but not recommended as they come from Elephant dung!
24. Oak acorns: Also known as the oak nut.
25. ogbono nut: A nut rich in protein that is sun dried
26. Paradise nut: Is the seeding of the rich sapucaia.
27. Pili nut: Native to the pacific Islands and the Philippines.
28. Pistachio: Have an open shell, that allows for them them to be salted and roasted whole.
29. Walnut: A seed that is two-lobed with a very hard shell.
30. Coconut: One of the most harvested and used nuts in the world
31. Horse-chestnut (or buckeye): This is an inedible seed/nut
32. Lychee: A dried Chinese fruit
33. Pine nut: Nuts from the inside of pine cones. Very high in fat.
34. Cacao: Considered to be a culinary type nut.
35. Soy nut: Are made out of whole soybeans.
36. Sunflower: There is a nut inside seeds of the sunflower that is harvested.
37. Acorn: This comes from oak trees, thus making them very abundant.
38. Peanut: Also native to the southern states of North America.
39. Illipe: A nut that is similar to some types of cocoa butter.
40. Pandanus: Are cone shaped, edible fruits.